Thursday, May 14, 2009

Time and weakness.

Time and weakness always make me think.

Today was Spring Fling, the last of four "large scale" programs we hold for the residents in the dorms. I clearly remember planning for this event during training before the school year began. It seemed so very far away. As if it would never really arrive. Now it is a memory. Insane.

Again, I reminisce: Half way through my sophomore year of high school, Ms. Ferd, my (incredible) English teacher encouraged us to write about being half way through high school. At the time I thought, "Half way through high school... where has the time gone!" And that was 4 years ago.

I'm sure you can think of your own similar examples. They are everywhere. Time doesn't stop speeding by.

Not to scare us though. God works outside of time. He is not constrained by time. He can finish projects, answer prayers, or save lives in any duration of time. He can act quickly if we call on Him.

No, time doesn't make me worry. In fact, it's a kind reminder to reassess what matters. Time flies by and so do people and materials and successes. Christ doesn't fly by. He will always be and always be working.

Alright, back to Spring Fling.

I was walking around the dorm complex cleaning up some decorations. I had a while to walk and I wanted to just teleport to my destination. As you might have guessed, I couldn't. I'm so glad I couldn't. If I could, I might have a false sense of strength. I'm truly thankful for God's reminders of my weakness. It allows me to contrast it with God's strength. Then it allows me to call on that strength. Then I am able to rejoice when I receive that strength!

I'm also able to remember what is important. Getting to the other side of campus to pick up the balloons is not important. Sure, it is something I need to do. And I'll get there. But the walk with God to get the balloons is the important part.

In high school, I was able to visit an orphanage in Mexico for a few weeks. They built everything there by hand. It was a long process requiring many hands to build anything there. We spent several hours each morning digging trenches, mixing cement, transferring wheelbarrows, and laying bricks. There were many alternatives to make the process go much faster. But they decided the hard work builds character and allows for great conversation. It did, indeed! Those hours spent working were some of the richest.

I think I'm always trying to find the shortest route to do something, but forget the best things might happen in the process. I'm thankful for weaknesses that allow us to move slowly. Maybe we will see more opportunities that way.

No comments: