Friday, January 22, 2010

Who do I work for?

Today I met with my RA supervisor and we talked about serving all the needs of every person in my hall. With worldly wisdom he told me that I should think about what each girl in my hall really needs, and not just supply them with my own faith values. I wish so badly that he, and so many others, could see that the only thing worth any value, and the only thing worth sharing, the only thing that will last, the only thing that will truly benefit anyone is Christ. It will not be of any use to bring in a speaker to talk about self-motivation or finding your own path in life. There is one satisfying thing in this world, and I don't want to feed my residents a substitute. When I'm sitting in that office and he is reminding me that diversity is a great thing to cultivate, and others have their own values that we should all consider, it sounds politically sensitive and agreeable. And for me to claim that nothing but Christ matters might sound terribly close-minded to the world. But when we know Christ, we know that he alone is magnificent enough that we should spend all our moments loving and honoring him. It is crucial to remember that I don't serve my supervisor, I serve the Lord.

No comments: