Friday, January 29, 2010

Alarms.

Oakenshield! You've done it! You now hold the record for most fire alarms sounded in a single day! Four times within twenty four hours is pretty impressive. =) And don't forget the three other times this has happened this year! Or was it four? I'm loosing count!

I'm writing now at 3 am after yet another fire alarm went off in Oakenshield due to... well, we aren't sure if anything really set it off this time. You see, the other six, seven, or eight times this has happened this year, it was caused by a shower. A combination of broken vents and a wonky heat detector make for an abrupt end to the showers in suite 301. No burnt food, no candles, no electrical outlets... just poor suite 301 taking their showers. And of course, the entire building must evacuate, whether its 8am, 10am, or 240am like this time. But now, the alarm can't even be traced to the showers! It continues to go off in the bathroom of suite 301, but on its own time; when it decides Oakenshield needs a little adventure.

I may be a little strange, but I enjoy little adventures like these. I do not like that all 80 residents must evacuate along with me, and wish they didn't have any inconvenience! I feel sorry that they all had to wake up and evacuate in the middle of their sleep! (Except Hasmik, who apparently is a very, very deep sleeper!) I think everyone will be laughing in retrospect... right? And like Benedict Anderson says, shared experience creates imagined communities, right!?

NOTE: In the middle of this post, the fire alarm went off again, making that 5 in 24 hours. But as I walked outside to turn off the alarm, (this time not everyone had to evacuate) I got to stop and look at the moon for a minute (after I silenced the alarm!) and remember how grand our God is, and what perspective He watches an event like this, as he also watched each moment, joyful and painful, in the entire universe. I pray that I wouldn't think about complaining over this circumstance, or any circumstance, remembering that God's goodness always remains constant!

No comments: